http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Ga-Gym Ka part? Oo.

I started going to the gym today.

No I don't want rock-hard abs, steel buns, and such. I just want to get rid of what my roommates half-jokingly call "love handles." Bilbil. And also maybe get rid of the pot belly that I worked so hard by logging insane hours sitting all day at work and mastering my couch potato techniques at home. Overall, I just want to be fit and trim. I look forward to the day when I no longer have to struggle into my size 32 pants, or turn blue from all the holding my breath in so my stomach won't uninvitingly prod the next person standing in line at the movie theater (this unfortunately has happened once or twice.)

Gio and I talked about this before... what did I want out of it? Why go to the gym? Why not just lift a couple of dumbbells or a half sack of rice in the comfort of your home? Why shell out precious coffee money and divert it to monthly gym membership dues? Or why not just go FAT and get it over with?

My reply was a simple 'WHY NOT?' Wait, it wasn't as simple as that. I actually said a bunch of other stuff. I said that I wanted the responsibility and the discipline. The moment I said that I realized something. I wasn't taking care of myself the way I was supposed to. I was neglecting my health and my obligation of keeping competitive in the rat race.

And if keeping ahead in the rat race requires a flat tummy and pants that fit comfortably, then by golly I'll do what it takes.

Besides, I'll be 25 in less than a month. I've decided to go and submit myself to a discipline. Something I know is big enough to merit enthusiasm and I know I can do and won't ignore.

I'd rather pay to run on a treadmill than even be paid to run in the streets of Manila even on the busiest time of the day. Pick your poison. Plus it did help put matters in perspective when a friend of mine helped in getting us a ridiculous discount in membership dues in some fancy gym in Makati. It is unbelievably cheaper than my water bill. (Unfortunately, it's not something I can offer to everyone else.)
« Home | Next »

Comment by Blogger supergio 8:59 PM

daghan chix?    



Comment by Blogger Don Manganar 9:45 PM

Not that I noticed, no.

If you're looking for chicks, go to a club, not a gym.    



» Post a Comment