http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

A Little Lighter In the Head

Yes. I feel a lot less heavier load now that I'm not a student again, now that I'm back to being a corporate working-boy, I'm back to normal. Aren't I?

For those who didn't know, I was gone all of last week, hidden from the outside world for 8 hours a day, to undergo a company-sponsored training. Down and dirty with the basics of POSIX programming. I was excited the first few hours of each day, as I've always wanted to go back to school again. I was to pretend I was back in school, all nerdy and dorky again :D

The subject sure helped, because it was a nerdy and dorky subject. Not that I loved it. It has been a looooong time since I learned anything useful (in my line of work, I mean). The training was basic and technical, visually unappealing, (just look at the machines we used. Fossils.) Image hosted by Photobucket.com and dangerously sleep-inducing. Despite all that, I was actually enthusiastic and attentive.

5 days and 19 modules later, me and my fellow classmates had passed the course. I was actually eager to get to work so I could try some of the stuff that I learned in class. Now, after a whole business day, I have yet to try any of that stuff. It's been an unusually busy Monday. Probably because the Americans are all trying to stuff all their business slated for the week down a small drainpipe into all our servers in time for the Thanksgiving holidays. By then they'll be enjoying turkey, and I'll be sitting in my office chair drinking C2 till 6 in the morning. The joys of outsourcing.

I think I killed a little bit more brain cells than usual, trying to force what I learned in training straight to my job, to the point that I was already straining my eyes, trying to will myself to write a fancy script combo where a simple 'grep' command would do. Ah well, they pay us to innovate, nothing lost on my end, really. Just the brain cells. Sayang. I could have just killed them the traditional way -- beer. Video games. South park episodes.

Or I could just have someone mention Cueshe, and my left brain will immediately collapse.

Brrrr.
« Home | Next »

Comment by Blogger vaN 12:45 PM

At least. :D    



» Post a Comment