http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Bad taste

Apparently I have bad taste in movies. I was browsing through digg and I came across lists for the best and worst movies of 2005. Out of all the movies in both lists, I have watched (and somewhat enjoyed) more movies from the worst lineup than the attention-worthy ones.

Alas this confirms I am a man of simple pleasures. I am a monkey given a banana and when ordered to dance, will ask "How long?" I "ooh" and "aah" at every scenic spectacle just like the next movie nut. I laugh when the actors slip on banana peels and cry when they fall off cliffs or die sputtering in their loved ones' arms. I enjoy what movies offer. It's different for each movie, so I take each for what's given.

But of course I also watch films that really mean something. Oscar-worthy movies, inspiring films, indie movies that really say something. But in all truthfulness, I mostly watch out of curiosity, or because I've already read the book. Who doesn't?

My favorite movies are comedies. I just like to pop in a DVD and laugh on my couch as a way of destressing. I enjoyed Harold and Kumar. I laughed like I was high watching Jay and Silent Bob. And I laughed my ass off every Jim Carrey movie including The Majestic. Jim Carrey in that crying scene was impressive and honest, but it was hilarious at an entirely different and weird level.

But almost at the same time I enjoyed Legends of the Fall. I liked Erin Brokovich. I can't get enough of The Last Samurai. And Woody Allen films still catch my attention. I may not be much of a film critic, but I know what I like when I see it, and I'm not very easily disappointed.

I am just an ordinary movie buff. Almost every weekend I drop by my favorite store to buy DVDs to keep me busy for the coming week. So far I have watched almost each DVD twice and continue to enjoy my collection. The only lesson I've drawn from these critiques are that they are a bit elitist and probably have no other ways of making money. Or maybe the movie audience are really just caveman waiting for the next whack on the head in the form of every dumb movie they see.
« Home | Next »

Comment by Blogger TheWriter 11:13 AM

I think it was the movie critic Roger Ebert of Chicago Sun-Times who said he doesn't like having a best and worst list. If I remember correctly, he wrote, choosing your number one movie is easy enough, but how do you choose between your eight and ninth?

I don't trust the Oscar choices. And you probably would to if you realize that there are only around two thousand people who do the choosing. I'm better off consulting a movie critic who have proven to have the same taste in movies as I am. But in order to find that critic, you have to guess who he or she is first and then spend about a year or so watching movies both he or she recommends and those he or she doesn't. (Daghan na kaayo "or" ba? :-))

I think I find that one in Orson Scott Card. Most movies he likes I end up liking and most movies he doesn't like I end up not liking. I thought it was Roger Ebert at first, but then Orson Scott Card came along. The fact that I like Card's writing style better helped.

But of course if you don't mind spending time and money on movies you end up hating, you can just watch whatever you want. In my case, I don't watch movies a lot so it doesn't matter whether I read the reviews first or not.    



Comment by Blogger vaN 9:11 PM

I think every movie has the right to be what they are. And I think every person has the right to like any movie he would like. ;) Happy holidays kuya Don! :D    



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous 3:07 AM

Excellent, love it! pictures of arnold schwarzenegger boatbuilder best ireland time travel refinancing dog leather jacket Electrical water heater 7.0 tank recovery model5ae45 Betting cup world eurorail travel Last minute travel agents international singapore travel agency Nr awnings capricorn Moving companies for western wa http://www.karten-roulette.info/best-vacation-package-for-disney-world.html westin hotel neworleans Paris hilton her bikini    



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous 2:23 AM

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it parts whirlpool washers Internet access maui napili Golf club at newcastle washer frigidaire ltf2940 whirl pool washer gsw 9800 Body building with shoulder injury Saab wind deflector chore master pressure washer gun Mc water filters List antidepressant drugs Overprescription of ritalin Mexx tennis Totes meer pflegeprodukte Adult t-cell leukemia cancer    



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous 5:38 PM

Looking for information and found it at this great site... colon cancer new drug lasik md in calgary car rental Galleries+propecia Levitra 8+pills+$109+-+free delivery fragrance oil    



» Post a Comment