http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Sticking it to the Man

How many employees get to hang out with the president of their company? Eleven.

That was how many we were anyway, as we hung out with our president and his wife. We were treated to dinner and wine in a little Greek restaurent in Rockville, my first time to eat Greek food. I had Chilean sea bass (recommended by the waiter who kept calling me "dude" and kept pronouncing it "doooood" like he was on something.) After dinnger they took us to their home for coffee and dessert and, get this, laughs. Now how many people can say that they've joked around with their company president, while he and his wife served them cake and coffee?

It was a very interesting night, I'll tell you that.

I'm lucky to have worked for a bigwig who is very down-to-earth and stayed as closed to the small guy all the time. He listened to us, he laughed and ate with us, he even gave us a tour of his nice house. (Cool game room, by the way. Any game room that has a foozeball table will always be categorized as cool in my list. I'll get one of those when I become president. You just wait.)

His wife was also very warm and accomodating. She was genuinely interested in us Filipinos and our culture. She never stopped asking questions. Ever since we got seated at the restaurant until we were sipping tea in their kitchen at home, she asked a lot of questions, like she had a whole bunch ready, scribbled on some piece of napkin she'd steal glances at when the last one gets answered. Too bad I was with a quiet bunch, and I was doing most of the talking. I attempted jokes, tried to be witty, tried to laugh at the right time. Hopefully I'll still have my job tomorrow.

The most interesting part of the evening was the house tour. They have a very very nice house (did I mention the game room?), though they live by themselves, unfortunately without the blessing of children. Well, Mr. President, in behalf of my silent friends huddled together in the corner of the room, we would like to thank you for your confidence in the Manila office. We thank you for the opportunity to get to know you out of work. I mean, come on, if you'd had approached me at work, I'd have tinkled all over myself. There can be no one more intimidating than the Man. But tonight was a nice gesture, and we appreciate it.

And you let me sit in your chair. The kind they probably only sell to presidents of companies or to famous people, or rich people with bad backs. You are the man. Now I know what I wanna be when I grow up, er... grow older. I wanna be president. Then I'll sign papers, hire and fire people, treat my employees to lunch everyday, and sit in my expesive chair. And I will have a foozeball table in my office. I will be cooler than you.

If you noticed that I mentioned that I "worked" for the Man, in the past tense. That's because it's his last day today. He's moving to a different company. So we appreciate the gesture and the good wine even more. I hope my order was expensive enough to make you at least blink and say I have good taste. Just let it be. It was your treat, and you can afford it.

Seriously, good luck. And thank you.

« Home | Next »

Comment by Anonymous Anonymous 5:38 PM

Looking for information and found it at this great site...
quality diamond jewelry Japanese movies adult xanax and buspar Africa travel long stay insurance Girls yoga pants size 6 Diffuse hair loss top of head in men Bag hand handbag initial k Vegas007 poker 3d 2003 kia optima review gm parts tire monitor kitchen table    



Comment by Anonymous Anonymous 11:27 AM

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
»    



Comment by Anonymous Basic Blackjack 8:24 PM

Without conversations!    



» Post a Comment